If you see error code 0x803F7001, it means that a valid license couldn’t be found to activate Windows on your PC. This can happen for several reasons:
- This is the first time Windows 10 has been installed on this PC. In this case, you’ll need to provide a valid 25-character Windows 10 product key or purchase a Windows 10 digital license to activate. To buy a digital license online, select Start > Settings > Update & Security > Activation, and then select Go to Microsoft Store. In Microsoft Store, follow the instructions to buy a license for Windows.
- You changed the hardware on a previously activated Windows 10 PC. A Windows license is associated with your PC hardware. If you make significant hardware changes, such as replacing your motherboard, Windows won’t be able to find a matching license the next time you start your PC. If Windows was preinstalled on the PC, then a new license is required if you have made a change such as replacing the motherboard. To purchase a new Windows license, select Start > Settings > Update & Security > Activation , and then select Go to Microsoft Store.
If you have a Windows product key you used on your PC before the hardware change, enter it by selecting Start > Settings > Update & Security > Activation and then selecting Change product key.
In addition, Microsoft provides an exception path for transferring a Windows License after a hardware change. You’ll need to be signed in to the same Microsoft account before making the hardware change and to use the exception path.
To access this exception path, select Start > Settings > Update & Security > Activation and then select Troubleshoot. If the troubleshooter can’t resolve the issue, you’ll see a link to reactivate after a hardware change. Select it to follow this path. For more info, see Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change.
- You reinstalled the wrong edition of Windows 10. When you reinstall Windows 10 using a digital license, you’re asked to choose which edition to install. If you choose an edition other than the one you’re licensed to use, you may receive the above error.
If you think you installed the wrong edition, select Start > Settings > Update & Security > Activation and then select Troubleshoot. If the troubleshooter detects a valid Windows 10 digital license for an edition not current installed, it will let you know, and show you how to install the correct edition.
- Your PC was purchased with Windows 10 preinstalled, and you’re receiving the 0x803F7001 activation error on first boot. While rare, this can happen if there’s a manufacturing error where a proper Windows 10 product key wasn’t included in your PC’s hardware. Trying running the Activation Troubleshooter. Select Start > Settings > Update & Security > Activation and then select Troubleshoot. If the troubleshooter can’t activate your PC, contact your PC’s manufacturer.
If your experience is different from those listed above, try the following:
- Run the Windows 10 Activation Troubleshooter: select Start > Settings > Update & Security > Activation and then select Troubleshoot.
- Check if you have a paper copy of your Windows 25-character product key you can enter to activate Windows 10.
- If your PC was recently repaired at an independent repair facility, contact them to see if the repairs require a new Windows 10 license.
If the PC is new and has never been activated, contact your PC manufacturer.